In the begining

In the begining

Saturday, July 23, 2011

The pumpkins are taking over...

Before we decided to start permaculturing the yard I had made a decision to just get a few plants in order to get the soil working for next year (also to get a feel for how well plants would grow without any soil treatments). I bought a few pumpkin seedlings, as well as a small artichoke plant and a bunch of onions. I then planted them in the only swathe of yard we had mulched with all the leaves from the fall. Surprise, surprise all the plants began to grow, and not just grow a little, grow a ton. This made me super excited, and I just started planting seeds everywhere.

Now, I have never grown pumpkins before so I didn't really know what I was in for. I thought I did but oh I was wrong. My two pumpkin plants have now taken over more than half of the garden area they were planted in and they don't even have any fruit yet. I have had to transplant just about everything that was planted around them, we are training them on some fence and slowly guiding them around the artichoke. Except for a slight case of powdery mildew, that is now fixed, they are growing and thriving, there's just one small problem, I have at least twenty other squash, melon or pumpkin plants growing as well. I planted so many seeds and so many of them came up and neither I nor my partner had the heart to just rip them up, so I transplanted them instead. Now we have vining plants everywhere in the yard, lining the entire back fence, over on the side of the house, and filling parts of the other beds. One thing is for sure, we will have plenty of large fruits and veggies to pass around.

No comments:

Post a Comment