In the begining

In the begining

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Dreaming away..

Planning, planning, planning. This has been my life lately. It's quite funny though because I don't quite have a set space to plan for, just all the things that we need to do when we get our Permaculture Project space. I had a vision of the house, maybe it's silly, but I saw a vision of it so clearly that I had to draw it all out right then and there this morning. It felt so amazing to get all the ideas drawn out on paper, up until now we had just been writing, reading, talking and visualizing, but nothing on paper. I think the idea of putting ideas down on paper always make them more tangible than typing out words on the computer. Actually using your hands to form your thoughts takes it an entire step farther, and for me it was just what I needed.

To see all of our ideas laid out, mapped out, in ways that are very likely to work, was a huge jolt of positive energy. We started formulating different types of mini eco-systems for the yard, choosing plants that work together in guilds, letting experimental ideas in (like our attached open floor greenhouse), and wrote out our dream list of plant and animal species. I can't wait until we build that first swale, or our water filtration pond and basin, putting into practice ideas that could change our way of gardening for years to come. This house, this community, this living classroom, is somewhere waiting for us. This old house is just waiting to be transformed, turned over to the next generation. When we are ready to move on, another family will take our place and the community will live on, growing and changing, the house along with it. Do you know where this house is? Can you help us find it? If you see it, please let it know that I'm searching and we are coming, carrying the hopes of our children, we are coming.

2 comments:

  1. Two things. First, we are in the planning phase too! Planning on moving in a couple months and maybe buying a house (a SUPER cheap foreclosure, like you wouldn't believe), doing some remodeling, greywater, cisterns, ect. I may or may not have already planned my permaculture garden to the T (the landscape designer in me).
    Two, have you read the book Natural Home Remodeling for the not-so Green Home. Check it out at the library, you would LOVE it. Especially the straw wrapped cinderblock house. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo that book sounds wonderful, I'm going to put it on hold right now. I am so excited for you. Once you move we are going to have to come and visit so we can see your space.

    ReplyDelete